Careers at VIFM
Work type: Full-time, fixed-term to 30/06/2017
Classification: VPS 2
Closing date: 28 August 2016
Contact: David Cauchi – Tel: 9684 4340
Applicants are encouraged to speak to the contact person listed under each career opportunity if you are seeking further information about a position. For any general enquiries about working at VIFM, please contact one of our Human Resources and Organisational Development Consultants:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: +61 3 9684 4342 Fax: +61 3 9682 7353
Applications should be received electronically via the online system (www.careers.vic.gov.au) or as indicated in the job advertisement.
All applications received will be held in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.
Can I do work experience at VIFM?
Due to the nature of our business and the high degree of confidentiality required, VIFM does not offer work experience placements.
VIFM Careers Information Sessions
Because we cannot offer work experience here at the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine, we instead offer secondary school students in years 10, 11 and 12 with the opportunity to attend a VIFM Careers Information Session. The VIFM holds two Career Information Sessions per year during school holidays.
The next Careers Information Session will be held on Monday 26 September 2016 from 12:30pm – 4:00pm at VIFM in Southbank.
This informative afternoon will give you an insight into the broad range of career options available in forensic medicine and science. Our experts in fields such as
- forensic pathology
- forensic toxicology
- forensic anthropology
- odontology (forensic dentistry)
- clinical forensic medicine and
- molecular biology (DNA)
talk to students about what it’s like to work in their chosen fields here at the VIFM and what path they took to get where they are today.
Places are limited so make sure you reserve your seat early to avoid disappointment.
Working at VIFM
The Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine’s greatest and most valued asset is its highly skilled and committed workforce. VIFM offers a supportive and diverse culture where staff can learn and grow in a variety of specialist medical, scientific, technical, research and administrative fields.
VIDEO: VIFM Staff Induction by Ms Emily Orchard from the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine.
Why Work at VIFM?
We aim to provide a work environment that fosters learning and development, health & well-being, fair treatment and the ability to balance work, life and family commitments. Employees have access to a range of benefits including:
- Employee Assistance Program
- Equal Opportunity Program
- Family friendly environment
- Flexible working arrangements
- Health and well-being activities
- Induction Program
- Performance & Development Program
- Pre-natal/Maternity/Paternity Leave
- Recognition & Achievement Awards Program
- Social Club
- Study Assistance
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Our Culture and Values
The Institute’s Awards and Recognition Program acknowledges and celebrates outstanding work of individuals and teams. These awards are presented to staff who have demonstrated their commitment to the Institute’s core values:
- RESPECT – We respect all people, our history, our calling and the law.
- OPENNESS – We are open-minded. Open with each other and open to knowledge and learning.
- SERVICE – We provide services for the community, which are dedicated, responsive and client focused.
- INTEGRITY – We will be beyond reproach. We commit to truth, confidentiality, impartiality, and accountability. We commit to systems which are secure, reliable, accurate, valid and safe.
- INNOVATION – We are creative and curious. We are not afraid to do things differently. We will continue our search for knowledge and truth.
The Social Club
The Social Club was formed in July 2001 with the aim of facilitating social interaction between staff of the State Coroner’s Office and the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine. It provides a lively and active schedule of events throughout the year to give our staff an opportunity to socialise with colleagues across all departments. Some examples of events organised by the Social Club include:
- Monthly Friday night drinks for staff
- Christmas Party, staff BBQ’s, Mid-Year Dinner,
- Discount tickets to theatre shows, and live music events,
- Bake sales to raise money for various charities.